All of the following documents shall be sent to the Graduate Division of Social Work by post mail. (Attention: Ms. Wong; Address and Office Hours: Please visit here.) (Please make sure you and your referees bear sufficient postage for your mails. Underpaid mail items may be returned by the Post Office and thus delay delivery of your documents. For postage fees within Hong Kong, please click here.)
(click to expand for important details)
- For final year students, academic results shall be as of the final term in the last academic year. Marks/ grades of the current academic year are not required. For graduates, a full transcript with grades/ marks of all courses attended shall be included.
- CUHK qualification:
- Photocopies of “Student Copy Transcript” issued by CUHK are accepted. To apply for a “Student Copy Transcript”, please visit here for undergraduate qualification or here for postgraduate qualification.
- Submission of an official transcript is not needed.
- Academic reports generated from CUSIS are not accepted.
- Non-CUHK qualification:
- Official transcripts issued by the institution(s) you attended are required. The transcripts should be issued by the Registry/ Academic Secretary (教務處/ 檔案館/ 學生成績專用章) but not Department of a university.
- The official transcripts shall be sent to the Graduate Division of Social Work directly from your institution(s), or in sealed envelopes with other supporting documents by you.
- Photocopied or "certified true copy" of transcripts are not accepted.
- Students graduated from Associate Degree or Higher Diploma programmes shall also provide official transcripts of their studies at Associate Degree or Higher Diploma programmes.
- An accepted Grading Scheme should indicate the marks/ GPA for achieving an average grade of not lower than “B”.
- Grading Scheme is a document that states the marks for each grade (e.g. Grade A is for marks ranged from 90 to 100, Grade A- is from 85 to 89) or grade point conversion (e.g. Grade A carries a converted point of 4.00 and Grade A- is 3.70). Grading Scheme is usually shown at the bottom/back of the transcript, stated at Student Handbooks or posted at your institutions’ websites where you check your academic results.
- If the Grading Scheme is not shown at the transcript that applicants will provide, applicants shall provide a copy of the document which shows the Grading Scheme:
- If the Grading Scheme is obtained from a website that is accessible without logging in any system, please state the URL of the website.
- If the Grading Scheme is obtained from a website that logging in a system is needed, please print screen the Grading Scheme and copy it to a Word file.
- If your University does not have a Grading Scheme, you shall seek assistance from your Registry (教務處/ 檔案館) (i.e. not your Department) to issue a letter confirming that no Grading Scheme is adopted by your University.
- If your degree certificate/ transcript does not show honours classification, average marks or cumulative grade point average (CGPA) that you have attained, you shall calculate the average marks or CGPA by yourselves by using an appropriate template provided below:
- All applicants should submit a 400 to 500-word Personal Statement written in English.
- In the Personal Statement, you shall state why you are interested in the programme and reasons you find yourself suitable for the programme.
- Graduates: Please submit a photocopy of your graduation certificate.
- Graduates of Associate Degree or Higher Diploma programmes: A copy of the graduation certificate of the Associate Degree or Higher Diploma programmes shall also be provided.
- Final-year students: You need not submit the graduation certificate as it is not yet available.
- For applicants who pay the application fee by bank draft/ cheque, please download “Payment Voucher” from “Online System for Applicants of Postgraduate Programmes” and send it to the Graduate Division of Social Work together with your payment.
- For applicants who have paid for the application fee by credit card: You need not enclose the Payment Voucher to your application.
Meanwhile, applicants should submit two Confidential Recommendations and documentary proof of fulfilling the English Language Proficiency Requirement by methods mentioned below.
(click to expand for important details)
- Applicants could use any of the following methods to submit the Confidential Recommendation:
- print out or email “Confidential Recommendation” (downloadable from “Online System for Applicants of Postgraduate Programmes” for referees’ completion and seek referees’ assistance to seal the recommendation and pass it to you. You can then send the sealed recommendation with other application documents to the Graduate Division of Social Work by post mail;
- print out or email “Confidential Recommendation” (downloadable from “Online System for Applicants of Postgraduate Programmes” and seek referees’ assistance to directly send the complete recommendation to the Graduate Division of Social Work by post mail; or
- submit two referees’ contact information via “Online System for Applicants of Postgraduate Programmes”. The System will then send emails to your nominated referees inviting them to complete the Confidential Recommendation Form online.
- The Confidential Recommendation could be written in English, traditional Chinese or simplified Chinese.
- Applicants who have obtained/ will obtain a degree from a university in Hong Kong or taken/ will complete a degree programme of which the medium of instruction is English:
- Submitting a copy of your graduation certificate/transcript is already regarded as having fulfilled the English Language Proficiency requirements.
- You need not submit other proofs such as GMAT/ IELTS/ TOEFL reports, or grade of English subjects at Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination, Hong Kong Higher Level Examination, CUHK Matriculation Examination or Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination.
- Applicants who fulfill the English Language Proficiency requirements by GMAT, IELTS or TOEFL scores:
- Submitting a score report of any one of GMAT, IELTS or TOEFL tests is already regarded as having fulfilled the English Language Proficiency requirements.
- Only original valid official score report of GMAT/ IELTS/ TOEFL sent directly from the test organisation to the Graduate Division of Social Work will be accepted. Original examinee’s score report will not be accepted.
- While the original valid official score report is on its way to our Graduate Division/ our University, you are very welcome to provide us with a copy of the test report for our reference and consideration of your application.
- Once your test score meets the requirement, you are strongly encouraged to immediately update us your test result. It is because fulfilling the English Language Proficiency Requirement is one of the criteria for applicants to receive offers, and whether you have fulfilled the requirement would affect our consideration of your application.
- For applicants who will provide IELTS score report: Please fill in the following contact information on Question 22 of the IELTS Application Form:
- Name of person/ department: Division of Social Work
- Name of institution/ agency/ body/ employer: The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- File/case number: your application number for the programme you are applying for
- Address: Room 504, T.C. Cheng Building, United College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin. NT, Hong Kong
- For applicants who will provide TOEFL score report: Please note that the University’s institution code is 0812.
- Applicants who would like to fulfill the English Language Proficiency requirements by grade attainment at Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination, Hong Kong Higher Level Examination, CUHK Matriculation Examination, Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination or General Certificate of Education Advanced Level/ Advanced Subsidiary Level:
- A copy of the score report must be certified by the official organisation, e.g. Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority
- The University may require applicants to provide the original documents for verification.
Remarks 1: The file shall be in Excel format, not in pdf or other formats.
Remarks 2: The file name shall be in this format: “Application Number_Name”, e.g. “16301234_Chan Siu Ming”.