International Conference on Social Welfare Policy, Practice, Research and Education: Public Engagement and Social Impact
The CUHK SWK 55th Anniversary International Conference on Social Welfare Policy, Practice, Research and Education: Public Engagement and Social Impact was held on 18 October 2018 and 19 October 2018. The Department was glad to have Dr. Law Chi Kwong, Secretary for Labour and Welfare, HKSAR and Prof. Chiu Chi Yue, Dean of Faculty of Social Science to be the Guests of Honour. It was a great honour that the Department had the privilege to have the following renowned professors to be the keynote speakers of the conference: Prof. Geraldine Macdonald from University of Bristol, Prof. Guan Xinping from Nankai University and Prof. Aron Shlonsky from University of Melbourne.
The purpose of the conference was to celebrate the 55th anniversary of the establishment of the Department of Social Work as well as to promote and review the public engagement and social impact of existing social welfare policies, practice, research and social work education. There were more than 180 participants from HK, China, Taiwan and Macau. The two-day-conference was a fruitful event with 4 keynote presentations, 2 plenary sessions and 6 interactive workshops in which participants were able to actively engage in different sections of the conference.
The Centre is an inter-university Joint Research Centre, founded together with Nankai University in September 2008.
- To conduct research on social policy issues relating to social needs, and social problems at the local, regional and national levels in Chinese societies.
- To enhance academic collaboration and exchange among local and overseas social policy scholars, and to encourage the mutual learning and information exchange between all levels of Mainland China Government and HKSAR Government
The Centre is equipped with an Academic Committee and an Administrative Committee, responsible for overall development, academic activities and administrative work; and there will also be a Guest Researcher in the Centre.
The areas of activity for the above mentioned committees and researcher are as follows:
- The Academic Committee: responsible for the academic planning and execution of the Centre, setting development strategy, and exploring and conducting research projects. The committee implements a dual chairperson and vice-chairperson system.
- The Administrative Committee: Nankai University designates an executive director for the Administrative Committee, to assist the director of the Centre with administrative work. Research assistants needed for conducting research projects will be hired when necessary.
- The Guest Researcher: well-known scholars will be invited as Guest Researchers of the Centre, responsible for providing professional advice to the Centre, conducting joint research with the members of the Centre and participating in various activities.
Research and academic activities
The Centre achieves its objectives through the following specific activities:
- Carrying out various types of social policy studies, including comparative research and specific policy research, as well as social policy research for central and local governments;
- Publishing academic study reports, consultancy reports, papers, policy recommendations and books;
- Organising conferences and seminars;
- Organising the exchange of scholars and students and visits between the two Universities;
- Other academic activities.
CUHK-Nankai Joint Research Center of Social Policy
Room 504, T. C. Cheng Building, United College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong