Prof. Wong Hung
Associate ProfessorBSSc (CUHK); MA, PhD (Warwick); RSW 3943 7510
- Poverty, Deprivation and Social Exclusion
- Social Security, Labour Policy and Social Policies
- Community Economic Development and Social Innovation
- Programme Evaluation and Social Impact Assessment
- Working Poor, Homeless People and Marginal Groups
- Quality of Life and Well-being
- Wong, H. (2015). The hope of poverty eradication: Examination of poverty problem in Hong Kong (Revised Edition) (「無窮」的盼望: 香港貧窮問題探析增訂版) . Hong Kong: Chung Hwa Book Co. (in Chinese)
Selected Journal Publications:
- Huang, Y., Wong, H., & Fu, Y. (2019). Resilience and depression among the survivors of the 2013 Yaan earthquake. Journal of Social Work. doi: 10.1177/1468017319852593 (SSCI)
- Wang, J., Huang, B., Zhang, T., Wong, H., & Huang, Y. (2018). Impact of housing and community conditions on multidimensional health among middle- and low-Income groups in Hong Kong. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(6), E1132. doi:10.3390/ijerph15061132 (SSCI)
- Wong, H., Huang, Y., Fu, Y., & Zhang, Y. (2018). Impacts of structural social capital and cognitive social capital on the psychological status of survivors of the Yaan earthquake. Applied Research in Quality of Life, 1-23. doi: 10.1007/s11482-018-9661-9 (SSCI)
- Chung, R. Y. N., Chung, G. K. K., Gordon, D., Wong, S. Y. S., Chan, D., Lau, M. K. W., Tang, V. M. Y., & Wong, H. (2018). Deprivation is associated with worse physical and mental health beyond income poverty: a population-based household survey among Chinese adults. Quality of Life Research, 27(8), 2127-2135. doi: 10.1007/s11136-018-1863-y (SSCI)
- Wong, S. Y. S., Chung, R. Y., Chan, D. C., Chung, G. K., Lai F. T., Li, J., Mak, D., Lau, M., Tang, V., Gordon, D., & Wong, H. (2018). What are the financial barriers to medical care among the poor, the sick and the disabled in the Special Administrative Region of China? PLoS One, 13(11), e0205794. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0205794 (SSCI)
- Ng S. L., Zhang Y., Ng, K. H., Wong H., & Lee J. W. Y. (2017). Living environment and quality of life in Hong Kong. Asian Geographer, 35(1), 35-51. doi:10.1080/10225706.2017.1406863 (SSCI)
- Liu, X., Wong, H. & Liu, K. (2016). Outcome-based health equity across different social health insurance schemes for the elderly in China. BMC Health Services Research, 16(9), 1-12. doi: 10.1186/s12913-016-1261-5 (SSCI)
- Wong, H. (2015). Is poverty eradication Impossible? A critique on the misconceptions of the Hong Kong Government. China Review - An Interdisciplinary Journal on Greater China, 15(2), 147-169. (SSCI)
- Wong, H., & Ye, S. (2015). Impact of enforcing a statutory minimum wage on work and quality of life of vulnerable groups in Hong Kong. International Journal of Social Welfare, 24(3), 223-235. doi: 10.1111/ijsw.12117 (SSCI)
- Saunders, P., Wong, H., & Wong, W. P. (2014). Deprivation and poverty in Hong Kong. Social Policy & Administration, 48(5), 556-575. doi: 10.1111/spol.12042 (SSCI)
- Crabtree, S. A., & Wong, H. (2013). ‘Ah Cha’! The racial discrimination of Pakistani minority communities in Hong Kong: An analysis of multiple, intersecting oppressions. British Journal of Social Work, 43(5), 945-963. doi: 10.1093/bjsw/bcs026 (SSCI)
- Huang, Y., & Wong, H. (2013). Effects of social group work with survivors of the Wenchuan earthquake in a transitional community. Health and Social Care in the Community, 21(3), 327-337. doi: 10.1111/hsc.12022 (SSCI)
- 2012- 2017 -
Principal Investigator, “Trends and Implications of Poverty and Social Disadvantages in Hong Kong: A Multi-disciplinary and Longitudinal Study”,
Strategic Public Policy Research Funding Scheme 2011/2012, Research Grants Council.
Funding: HKD 3,250,000.
- 2014- 2018 -
Co-Principal Investigator, “Evaluation Study on Incentive Scheme to further encourage Comprehensive Social Security Assistance Recipients of the Integrated Employment Assistance Programme for Self-reliance to secure Employment”,
Social Welfare Department.
Funding: HKD 1,430,000.
- 2016- 2017 -
Principal Investigator, “Impacts of implementing ‘Low-income Working Family Allowance’ (LIFA) on labour market situation and quality of life of low income working families in Hong Kong”,
Public Policy Research Funding Scheme, Central Policy Unit.
Funding: HKD 999,299.
- 2009- 2012 -
Principal Investigator, “The Impact of the Introduction of a Statutory Minimum Wage on Labour Market Conditions and the Quality of Life of Vulnerable Groups in Hong Kong”,
Public Policy Research Funding Scheme, Research Grants Council.
Funding: HKD 448,500.
- 2010- 2011 -
Principal Investigator, “Research Study on the Deprivation and Social Exclusion in Hong Kong”,
The Hong Kong Council of Social Service.
Funding: HKD 448,500.
Key Community and Other Services
- 9/2013 – present - Vice-Chairperson (since Sept 2017), Council Member (2013-2017), Oxfam Hong Kong
- 11/2004 – present - Chairperson (2010-2011), Vice-Chairperson (2004-2010, 2014-2015), Board Member (since 2004), UNISON Hong Kong
- 8/2014 – present - Member, Steering Committee for Promotion Personal Development through Social and Civic Engagement, CUHK
- 8/2017 – present - Director, Yunus Social Business Centre@CUHK, CUHK
- 8/2014 – present - Director, Centre for Quality of Life, Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, CUHK
- 8/2015 – present - Co-Director (since Sept 2017), Associate Director (2015-2017), Centre for Social Innovation Studies, Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, CUHK
- 12/2006 – 12/2016 - Member, Election Committee (Social Welfare), Hong Kong SAR
- 1/2013 – 12/2014 - Co-opted Member, Social Security and Retirement Protection Task Force, Commission on Poverty, Hong Kong SAR Government
- 9/2011 – 8/2014 - Chairperson (2011-2012), Vice-Chairperson (2012-2014) Committee on Social Security and Employment Policy, Hong Kong Council of Social Service
Awards and Honors
- 2015 - 26th Secondary Students' Best Ten Books Election Award , Hong Kong Public Libraries & Hong Kong Professional Teachers’ Union
- 2012 - Global Scholarship Programme for Research Excellence – CNOOC Grants 2012-13 , Chinese University of Hong Kong
- 2011 - Exemplary Teaching Award 2011 , Faculty of Social Science, Chinese University of Hong Kong