Prof. Chen Ji-kang
Associate ProfessorPhD. University of Southern California; MSW. Washington University in St. Louis; BSW. National Taiwan University; RSW 3943 7505
- School Violence and Bullying
- Cyber Bullying and Cyber Deviance among Children and Adolescents
- Cross-cultural and International Topics surrounding Interpersonal Violence
- Youth Delinquency
- Subjective Well-being and Mental Health of Children and Adolescents
- Quantitative Research Methods and Advanced Statistics
- Psychosocial Determinants of Mental Health and Behavioral Health
- Social Determinants of Health
- Chen, J.K., Chang, C.W., Lin, C.Y., & Wang, L.C. (2022). An investigation of longitudinal associations between psychological distress and student victimization by teachers. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. https://doi.org/10.1177/08862605221106134 (SSCI, IF= 6.144, Q1 in Criminology & Penology; Applied Psychology).
- Chen, J.K., Wang, Z., Wong, H., & Tang, M.Y. V. (2021). Child deprivation as a mediator of the relationships between family poverty, bullying victimization, and psychological distress. Child Indicators Research, 14, 2001-2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12187-021-09835-y (SSCI, IF=2.42, Q2 in Social Sciences Interdisciplinary).
- Chen, J.K. & Wu, W.C. (2021). Reciprocal relationships between sleep problems and problematic smartphone use in Taiwan: A cross-lagged panel study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(14), 7438. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18147438 (SSCI, IF=4.614, Q1 in Public, Environmental & Occupational Health).
- Chen, J.K., Pan, Z., & Wang, L.C. (2021). Parental beliefs and actual use of corporal punishment, school violence and bullying, and depression in early adolescence. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(12), 6270. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18126270 (SSCI, IF=4.614, Q1 in Public, Environmental & Occupational Health).
- Chen, J.K., Chang, C.W., Wang, Z., Wang, L.C., & Wei, H.S. (2021). Cyber deviance among adolescents in Taiwan: prevalence and correlates. Children and Youth Services Review, 126, 106042. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2021.106042 (SSCI, IF=2.519, Q2 in Social Work).
- Chen, J.K., Wu, C., Wang, L.C. (2021). Longitudinal associations between school engagement and bullying victimization in school and cyberspace in Hong Kong: An auto-regressive cross-lagged panel study. School Mental Health, 13, 462-472. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12310-021-09439-5 (SSCI, IF=3.01, Q2 in Educational Psychology, and Developmental Psychology).
- Chen, J.K., Wang, S.C., Chen, Y.W. & Huang, T.H. (2021). Family climate, social relationships with peers and teachers at school, and school victimization among third grade students in elementary schools in Taiwan. School Mental Health, 13, 452-461. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12310-020-09404-8 (SSCI, IF=3.01, Q2 in Educational Psychology, and Developmental Psychology).
- Chen, J.K. & Hung, F.N (2020). Sexual orientation victimization and depression among lesbian, gay and bisexual youths in Hong Kong: The mediating role of social support. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment and Trauma, 30(5), 679-693. https://doi.org/10.1080/10926771.2020.1821853. (SSCI, IF=2.06, Clinical Psychology, Criminology & Penology, Family Studies, and Psychiatry).
- Chen, J.K. & Chen, L.M. (2020). Cyberbullying among adolescents in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Mainland China: A cross-national study in Chinese societies. Asia Pacific Journal of Social Work and Development, 30(3), 227-241. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02185385.2020.1788978. (SSCI, IF= 0.932, Social Work).
- Chen, J.K. (2020). Cyber victimization, social support, and psychological distress among junior high school students in Taiwan and Mainland China. Asia Pacific Journal of Social Work and Development, 30(3), 150-163. https://doi.org/10.1080/02185385.2020.1755994 (SSCI, IF= 0.932, Social Work).
- Chen, J.K., Wu, C., Chang, C.W., & Wei, H.S. (2020). Indirect effect of parental depression on school victimization through adolescent depression. Journal of Affective Disorders, 263(15), 396-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2019.11.126 (SSCI, IF=6.533, Q1 in Psychiatry).
- Chen, J.K., Wu, C., & Wei, H.S. (2020). Personal, family, school, and community factors associated with student victimization by teachers in Taiwanese junior high schools: A multi-informant and multilevel analysis. Child Abuse & Neglect, 99, 104246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2019.104246 (SSCI, IF=4.863, Q1 in Social Work, Family Studies, and Social Psychology).
- Chen, J.K & Chen, L.M. (2020). A cross-national examination of school violence and nonattendance due to school violence in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Mainland China: a Rasch Model Approach. Journal of School Violence, 19(2), 177-191. https://doi.org/10.1080/15388220.2019.1568882 (SSCI, IF= 2.721, Q1 in Criminology & Penology, Education and Educational Research, and Education Psychology).
- Chen, J.K. & Wei, H.S. (2013). School violence, social support and psychological health among Taiwanese junior high school students. Child Abuse & Neglect, 37(4), 252-262. (SSCI, IF=4.863, Q1 in Social Work, Family Studies, and Social Psychology).
- Chen, J.K. & Astor, R.A. (2012). School variables as mediators of the effect of personal and family factors on school violence in Taiwanese junior high schools. Youth & Society, 44(2), 175-200 (SSCI, IF=2.316, Q1 in Sociology, Social Issues, and in Social Science, Interdisciplinary).
- Chen, J.K. & Wei, H.S. (2011). Student victimization by teachers in Taiwan: prevalence and associations. Child Abuse & Neglect, 35(5), 382-390. (SSCI, IF=4.863, Q1 in Social Work, Family Studies, and Social Psychology).
- Chen, J.K. & Astor, R.A. (2011). Students’ personal traits, violence exposure, family factors, school dynamics and the perpetration of violence in Taiwanese elementary schools. Health Education Research, 26(1), 150-166. (SSCI, IF=2.221, Q2 in Education & Education Research).
- Chen, J.K. & Wei, H.S. (2011). The impact of school violence on self-esteem and depression among Taiwanese junior high school students. Social Indicators Research, 100 (3), 479-498. (SSCI, IF= 2.207, Q2 in Social Science, Interdisciplinary).
- Chen, J.K. & Astor, R.A. (2011). School engagement, risky peer, and student-teacher relationships as mediators of school violence in Taiwanese vocational vs. academically oriented high schools. Journal of Community Psychology, 39(1), 10-30. (SSCI, IF=2.297, Q2 in Social Work, Public Health and Multidisciplinary Psychology).
- Chen, J.K. & Astor R.A. (2010). School violence in Taiwan: examining how western risk factors predict school violence in an Asian culture. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 25(8), 1388-1410. (SSCI, IF=6.144, ranking within top 20% journal in Criminology & Penology). (This paper is the Top 100 most highly cited peer-reviewed articles published in reputational criminology and criminal justice journals in the world between 2010 and 2015).
- Chen, J.K. & Astor, R.A. (2009). The perpetration of school violence in Taiwan: An analysis of gender, grade level, school type. School Psychology International, 30 (6), 568-584. (SSCI, IF=1.729, in Education Psychology)
- Chen, J.K. & Astor, R.A. (2009). Students’ reports of violence against teachers in Taiwanese schools. Journal of School Violence, 8(1), 2-17. (SSCI, IF= 2.721, Q1 in Criminology & Penology, Education and Educational Research, and Education Psychology)
Key Academic & Community Services
- 2012-Now – Editorial Board, Journal of School Violence (SSCI, Q1 in Criminology; Educational Research; Educational Psychology)
- 2022-Now – Editorial Board/Consulting Editor, Educational Psychology (SSCI, Q2 in Education Psychology; Education Research)
- 2021-Now – Editorial Board, World Journal of Psychiatry (SCIE, Q2 in Psychiatry)
- 2022-Now – Guest Editor, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (SSCI, Q1 in Public Health)
- 2021-Now – Editorial Board, Adolescents.
- 2018-2022 – Editorial Board, NTU Social Work Review (TSSCI)
- 2010-Now – Member, Social Service Committee. Stewards Limits. Hong Kong.
- 2017-Now – Committee Member. Taiwan-Hong Kong Education Exchange and Scholarship Funds.
- 2012 – External Reviewer. Academic Review for Recruited Professor, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- 2019-2023 – External Examiner. Bachelor of Social Sciences (Honours) Programme, Caritas Institute of Higher Education. Hong Kong.
- 2020-Now – Council Member. International Association of Chinese Traders.
Awards and Honors
- Featured Spotlight Scholar by Bullying Research Network (2021)
- Keynote Speaker. World Anti-Bullying Forum & UNESCO (2021)
- Exemplary Teaching Award, Faculty of Social Science, Chinese University of Hong Kong (2016).
- The Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Southern California, 2008.
- 中華民國留學生博士論文獎學金(蔣經國國際學術交流基金會)The Chiang Ching-Kuo Foundation 2007-2008 Dissertation Fellowship.
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi (USA).
Major courses offered
- Supervisor of PhD students
- Advanced Social Statistics (PhD level)
- Social Policy Research (Master and PhD level)
- Social Work Research (Undergraduate, Master and PhD level)
- Interpersonal Violence (Undergraduate)