The Master of Social Work Programme (MSW) aims to equip students with knowledge and skills in developing new creative ventures in social work or social service. The Programme provides a broad-based theoretical foundation on which students can learn from the emerging innovative practices in tackling local and global challenges and social issues. For details, please visit here.
Students of the Master of Social Work Programme (MSW) are NOT eligible to become a Registered Social Worker (RSW) upon graduation. Among our postgraduate programmes, only Master of Social Science Programme in Social Work (MSSc) is particularly designed for applicants who would like to become a Registered Social Worker (RSW) in Hong Kong after graduation.
Qualification for Admission
- Academic Qualification
Applicants shall have:
- graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor’s degree in any disciplines, normally with an honours not lower than Second Class; or
- graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a Bachelor’s degree in any disciplines, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B"; or
- completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
Those who expect to obtain a Bachelor's degree in the current academic year may also apply for admission.
Applicants with degrees awarded by overseas universities by distance learning or by completing a self-financed undergraduate programme of short duration may be required to provide assessment report from the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) on the level of qualification obtained.
- English Language Proficiency
Please refer to the Graduate School’s website for details:
- Section: “English Language Requirements for Admission”
Study Mode and Study Length
- Normative Study Period
- Full-time: 1 year
- Part-time: 2 years
- Details on “Period of Study”
Please refer to Clause 5 and Annex of “General Regulations Governing Postgraduate Studies”.
Medium of Instruction
English, Putonghua and Cantonese
The tuition fees for students admitted in 2023-24 are as follows:
- Full-time: HK$174,500 for the whole programme (HK$87,250 per installment x 2 installments)
- Part-time: HK$155,000 for the whole programme (HK$38,750 per installment x 4 installments)
Students taking courses beyond the normative study period shall pay extra tuition fees calculated according to the tuition fee of students admitted in the academic year when the courses are taken.
In view of the current shortage in hostel places, no on-campus accommodation can be provided for students taking self-financed taught postgraduate programmes.